Open Chefame Clam Bake
We dumped 5 tons of sand in the middle of the street behind PYT at the Piazza at Schmidts. 100 strong we ate clams, lobsters, mussels, crabs and the greatest corn bread ever!
A lot of work went into pulling this madness off and I have a lot of people to thank for making it happen:
- Tommy Up and the amazing staff of PYT for giving us their space for a day and lending a million helping hands.
- The Piazza and Tower Properties for letting us take over for the night.
- JP Boudwin, Zack Driver and Kevin Ludwig for cleaning up the sand when we were done
- Michael Campagna of Ava for making sure we got the goods to make the meal for the masses
- Bart Mroz and Jesse Middleton of Open Chefame for choosing me to film this live monstrosity of an episode (and footing the bill)
- Brian McElaney for filling his nice clean car with a half ton of live seafood and taking photos of the event.
- Paul Ritchey and Joe Williams for filming and editing the episode
- Leroy Conroy, Jesse MacPherson, Mike Matzik, Matt Phillips, Rebecka Weidman, and Leonard Wimbush: A kitchen dream team that I hope will make my future restaurant a success.
- and especially Dan Platt, who helped me keep my sanity and helped pull the whole thing together
Recipe for Jalapeño-cheddar Corn Bread
Matt Phillips provided the baking chops for the Clam bake. This Jalapeño-cheddar Corn Bread may have been my idea but the recipe was all his, and it was real damn good.
- 2 mixing bowls
- 2 muffin pans
- 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/3 cups cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup jalapenos
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cooking spray
- In a bowl, evenly mix flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, oil and eggs until evenly mixed.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined; do not overmix.
- Add jalapenos and cheddar to cornbread mixture.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch cake pan with cooking spray or a standard muffin pan.
- Place cornbread mixture in pan or fill muffin cups about half way. Distribute batter evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 35 minutes. Halfway through, turn pan around and bake until the middle of the cornbread springs back.